Saturday, August 15, 2009

Yellowstone and Jackson Hole

Lexi and I went with my family up to West Yellowstone for a sort of family reunion with all my extended family.  It was a lot of fun to see everyone and catch up (as much as you can!)  We traveled the upper loop of Yellowstone one day and had an amazing, long (101/2 hours!!) day.  The next day we did the lower loop.  It was fun to see Old Faithful, the Lodge at Old Faithful which was built around 1911 (I think!) and do some shopping!  However, this day also turned out to be pretty long.  We were trying to make it shorter than the previous day, but it is pretty hard when there are so many cool things to see!  I had not been to Yellowstone since Brayden was about four and Lexi had never been.  Lexi loved seeing all the animals, geysers, and hiking.  This was right up her alley.   We AT a few days in Yellowstone and headed down to Jackson Hole.  It was fun to bum around downtown Jackson and reminisce!  While we were there, we went to Jenny lake and took the boat across the lake and hiked to the hidden falls.  It was an amazing hike and an awesome ending to the hidden falls!  On our way up, we saw a deer and it was not afraid of us AT ALL!  We could have reached out and touched it while we were trying to snap some shots!  We also saw a chipmunk that just sat there by us too.  He was pretty cute!  The kids were excited to see the animals so close.  What a great vacation!

Lexi had been looking for a cowgirl hat for EVER!  Finally on our way back to the Hotel, Lexi, Grandma Spencer and myself made one last stop and she found the perfect hat!  She looks pretty cute in it! 

Here is a momma moose and a baby we saw around Jenny Lake!
Here is one of our favorite geysers we saw!  The look of it made you want to 
run and jump right in.
Here is one of many bison we saw in Yellowstone - what massive animals!
Lexi and I at a geyser  - we loved this colorful one.  It made the steam seem to 
turn different colors - way cool!

4 comments:

Piper said...

I didn't know geysers came in different colors! Lexi DID find the perfect hat. Good job!

Peter and Katie said...

Looks like a lot of fun. We've been to Yellowstone but I have never done Jackson Hole, we'll have to add that to our list of spots to visit. Lexi's hat is really cute!

Kim said...

Aaron and I want to do that trip so badly! Glad you guys had a good time. Love the hat, Lex!

Tagan said...

I love it! "A sort of reunion." Seriously, what was that? I think I see more of your family on a Sunday afternoon at your mom's house when we are out in Utah! Next time we'll have to plan a little bit better!

Anyway, I'm glad you had fun. We did too!